Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was looking for a fast, simple recipe using chicken thighs (hubby loves these) and rice.Something that wasn't the usual "pour on a can of soup". I found a good "base" idea on "AllRecipes, (contributed by "Carol B.) The original recipe called for boullion and water, I think the stock is much tastier so started my changes there. I added the celery to the onion which was called for, and because I had asparagus in the fridge I thought that would be nice as well. I used paprika because I thought it could use just a splash of color. If I had not been lazy I would have diced up some pimento or roasted red pepper. This is the kind of easy "pantry" recipe that would lend itself to your tastes and pantry. So now this recipe is posted and I am adding this "after the fact" Made the dish for dinner and it was bland, flat and without the asparagus would have been completely tasteless. Added the ingredients listed below, and helped tremendously. I still think that this is a great "base" recipe....play with it.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 cloves minced garlic sautee with the onion and celery
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- garlic powder
- onion salt
- celery salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan or casserole.
- Remove skin and excess fat from the chicken thighs.
- Dice onion and celery and sautee in 3 TB of butter until softening, then add the asparagus and garlic and continue to saute for a couple more minutes, then add the drained diced tomatoes. If you prefer you can use the juice from the tomatoes, but reduce stock by that amount.
- Deglaze pan with 2 cups of the chicken stock or a combination of the stock and tomato juice.
- Add Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion salt, celery salt and salt and pepper.
- Stir in 1 cup of long grain white rice, and pour all into the prepared pan.
- Top the rice/veggie mixture with the chicken thighs, sprinkle with paprika and Bake for 45 minutes.