Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
In the 1950's, when cake mixes first came out, there was only chocolate, white or spice. To make something special, I came up with this.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease or Spray bottom of two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- *Drain juice from cherries and add water to make 1 1/4 cups.
- Chop cherries in half.
- Beat cake mix, cherry juice/water, oil, egg whites and cherries in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 1/2 minutes
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans.
- Run knife around sides of pans before removing.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- A White Mountain icing is very good.
THANK YOU!! This is a five star recipe! PEOPLE RAVE OVER THIS CAKE!. I've made it several times and everyone wants the recipe. I made homemade Cream Cheese Icing and of corse added the cherries and some juice. Delicious! What a great find!! 5 STAR'S *****
Thanks Again, JOANNA
Five Stars!!! I used the Vanilla flavored Cool Whip Frosting from the frozen section at the grocery store and it was amazing! Everyone loved it! Thanks for the great recipe!
Well this is truly a 4 1/2 star cake for me but it is very good! I can't say it is my favorite cake (I still love my lemon poppy seed cake more) but this is wonderfully delicious and different in its own respect. I did use a white cake mix called cherry chip (has flecks of cherry bits in it) flavored cake mix in place of the white for added cherry flavor and I only used 3 eggs as called for on my recipe box and not whites. Other than that all was the same and I really appreciate the wonderful change of pace. Sweet and delicious. My husbands coworker enjoyed the cake as well.