Here's a quick and simplified version of my Hearty German Farmer's Breakfast - Bauernfruhstuck Hearty German Farmer's Breakfast (Bauernfruhstuck), and just as delicious! Uses pre-cut frozen potatoes (I use the Ore Ida brand Potatoes O'Brien), onions, bell peppers, and precooked sausage, ham or bacon. Leftovers (if any) are awesome, and may be eaten either warm or cold. Makes a great breakfast wrap, too. Serve with some fresh fruit and your favorite beverage for a delicious breakfast, lunch or supper.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (24 ounce) bag o'brien frozen potatoes
- 4 -6 tablespoons chopped onions (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, roughly chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 sausage patties, pre-cooked and roughly chopped (I use Jimmy Dean, or may use ham or bacon)
- 4 -6 tablespoons chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk (or water)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- snipped chives (optional)
- Heat skillet on medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add frozen potatoes in a single layer. Cook 6 minutes, turn, and continue cooking another 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the chopped onions, bell peppers, and the butter. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan, until onions are softened and peppers are almost done.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in the chopped sausage (or ham or bacon), and the tomatoes, if using.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, milk, and the salt & pepper together. Add the chives, if using.
- Pour egg mixture over potatoes, stirring to incorporate. Cook for a few minutes more, stirring occasionally, until eggs are done.
- Sprinkle with cheese and snipped chives.
- Serve with fresh fruit and your favorite beverage.
- Note: Leftovers, if any, are wonderful--makes a tasty breakfast wrap!