Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From: Sunset New Easy Basics Cookbook
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves (8)
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place breast halves, one at a time, between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. With flat side of a mallet or with a small frying pan, gently pound breasts until each is about 1/4" (6mm) thick; set aside.
- In a pie pan, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon of the oregano, the sale, and peper; set aside. In a small boul, mash butter with parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the herb-butter mixture on each breast about 1 inch (2.5cm) from lower edge; lay a piece of jack cheese on butter mixture. Fold lower edge of breast over filling, then fold in sides and roll up to enclose filling.
- roll each bundle in egg mixture and drain briefly; then roll in bread crumb mixture until evenly coated. Place bundles, seam side down, without touching, in a 9x15" baking pan. Cover and refridgerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425F oven until chicken is no longer pink in center; cut to test (about 30 minutes).