Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe calls for lighter ingredients so it is not very heavy. It has the taste of a baked artichoke wrapped in lightly breaded chicken. I was trying to emulate the way the I like to eat my artichokes....breaded, covered with mozzarella cheese and dipped in butter. My family really enjoyed this one, hope you do too!
- 6 artichoke hearts, from a can, chopped
- 6 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter (I prefer smart balance)
- salt, to taste
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced in have length-wise, creating 6 thin breasts to work with
- breadcrumbs, for lightly coating the chicken
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degress.
- In a bowl, mix the artichoke hearts, cream cheese, butter and salt together and put aside.
- Flatten out each breast by laying it on a cutting board, covering it with wax paper and using the flat, broad side of a meat tenderizer (or whatever is handy) gently pound the chicken on the side of the chicken where the skin is stronger (tighter looking).
- After the breast is flattened, lightly coat it in the bread crumbs.
- After the breast is coated, spread about 1/6 of the artichoke mixture on top of the breast.
- Roll the breast over the mixture and secure it with a toothpick.
- Repeat for the remaining breasts and put them all in a baking dish and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered,.
- Uncover and bake f5 minutes longer.
- Remove chicken from the oven and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over each chicken breast.
- Cook chicken about five minutes longer, until the cheese has melted.