Recipe by itsnevrenough
My husband requested a German Chocolate Cake for his birthday this year. Unfortunately (as usual) I didn't give myself enough time to make one *completely* from scratch, but you would never know by tasting it. I took a few recipe ideas from a friend of mine and came up with this. It was easy and quick to prepare, super-moist and absolutely delicious! And, yes, I know it's really called German's chocolate! : )
- 1 (18 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in mixer bowl, and mix on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Grease 3 9" round baking pans.
- Divide mixture evenly into pans.
- Bake at 350 for for 20-25 minutes. (I use dark baking pans, reduce heat to 325, and they are usually done right at 20 minutes.).
- Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans, and cool them completely on wire racks.
- Place the milk, butter, sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolks into a large saucepan.
- Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat until mixture thickens and turns golden brown.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Let this cool to room temperature.
- Layer each of the three cakes with frosting spread between each one.
- Finish by frosting the sides and top of cake.