Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful East-Asian inspired salad! Very healthy with a wonderfully crunchy texture thanks to all the fresh vegtables. This is a perfect meal to throw together when it's too hot to cook!
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup salted cashew pieces
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 lb fresh bean sprout
- 2 1⁄2 ounces fresh spinach
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- In a suacepan bring 1 1/2 cups salted water to a boil.
- Add 3/4 cup rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate rice until chilled.
- combine the chilled, cooked rice, mushrooms, green peppers, red peppers, cashews, green onions, bean sprouts, spinach and celery in a large bowl.
- Blend the vegtrable oil, soy sauce, parsley and crushed garlic in a seperate bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad 1 hour before serving and toss well.
This recipe is quite addictive! I prepared it exactly as written, except using about 1/3 cup of oil instead of 1/2 cup. Also, I used brown instead of white rice. It's a really colourful, good-looking salad, very filling and very delicious. I think what made it hard for me to stop eating it was how refreshing it was. Perhaps it was the parsley, but whatever, this will become a regular fixture. Thanks!
Yooper, I took your great recipe and ran with it. Not being able to help myself, I started adding a few things..water chestnuts, cilantro, red pepper flakes. Then I discovered my bean sprouts were slimy and had to leave them out. Oops, cashew bag is empty, so I tossed in sliced almonds. Then the dressing tasted a little bland, so I added a tsp. Chinese Five Spice powder, stirred up the whole thing and topped it with some crispy rice noodles and a handful of sesame seeds. Are you groaning, Yooper? We loved the salad and give you all the credit!!!