1/2 Photos of Dutch Apple Pie
1 hr 25 mins
In the 1950's, great diners offered this all-American favorite chock-full of raisins, apples and covered with a lemony sugar glaze. The crust is amazing and the glaze is simply delicious!!! Tip: I use allspice or pumpkin spice since mace is hard to find.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 -6 tablespoons ice water
- 3 lbs tart cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsifted flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1For Crust:.
- 2Mix flour and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss quickly with a fork, just until dough holds together when pressed into a ball, adding more ice water as needed.
- 4Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a flattened round, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes before rolling out.
- 5For Filling:.
- 6In large bowl, combine apples and raisins.
- 7In small bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, mace and salt.
- 8Add to apples and raisins.
- 9Toss lightly to combine.
- 10Roll out 1st half of pastry on lightly floured board.
- 11Fit into a 9 inch pie plate.
- 12Fill with apple mixture.
- 13Roll out second half of pastry and fit over apples.
- 14Moisten rim of bottom crust, press 2 crust together, turn under and crimp edge.
- 15Cut 2-3 slits in top crust.
- 16Place on baking sheet in pre heated 425 degree oven.
- 17Bake 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles.
- 20Mix confectioners sugar and lemon juice and 3 teaspoons of milk, stir until smooth. Add the 4th teaspoon of milk only if needed to make glaze of spreading consistenecy. Spread over top crust of pie.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.1
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 248.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 84.9 g
- Protein 5.7 g