Pumpkin Dutch Apple Pie
A layer of apples topped with creamy pumpkin sprinkled with a crumble topping. Everyone seems to love this the young to the well experienced, the hims and the hers.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry (4-cup volume)
- 2 cups peeled peeled cored thinly sliced apples
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
FOR APPLE LAYER:
- Combine apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon in medium bowl; pour into pie shell.
FOR PUMPKIN LAYER:
- Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, butter, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in medium bowl; pour over apple mixture.
- Bake @ 375 f. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with Crumble Topping. Return to oven; bake for 20 minutes or until custard is set. Cool completely on wire rack.
FOR CRUMB TOPPING:
- Combine flour, nuts and sugar in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixtures resembles coarse crumbs.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is a lovely fall pie and it does require a little prep work but is not difficult to do. I made my own crust and used my deep dish stone pie plate. I haven't made a pie with custard before, so I wasn't sure how to know if it was done and should it be served warm or cold? After 50 minutes I shook the pie plate and the middle still jiggled, so I left it in the oven another 8 or 9 minutes - it was more firm and my apples were done (used Zestar apples which are pretty soft) - my topping was done just right. I really enjoyed the pumpkin layer, but the apple layer was a little different to me... I haven't had apple and pumpkin together in a pie before - I'm glad I tried it!