Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got the original recipe for this out of the South Beach Diet 30 minute meal cookbook. It wasn't vegan. Because I like to eat vegan often I changed some of the ingredients. My pancake was more like a crepe on the outside and more custard inside then puffy,which I think is due to using banana instead of the eggs. You could probably use Ener-G egg replacers here as well. The original recipe had 210 calories, so making it vegan made it even better.
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine (divided in half)
- 1 medium tart apple (granny smith or other tart apple-cut in 1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or other sugar substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup non-dairy milk substitute
- 2 medium bananas (or other egg substitute to equal 4 eggs)
- Heat oven to 400'F.
- Heat (on medium) 1 tablespoon of the margarine in a 10" cast iron skillet.
- Saute the apples for about 5 minutes, or until nice and brown on the outside. I didn't peel my apples, I like the added fiber the peeling adds.
- Puree 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, flour, sugar, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk and banana in a blender until just combined. About 1 minute.
- Pour the puree over the apples in the skillet and then put the skillet into the oven and bake until set and puffed, about 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Bon Appetit!