Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional cambodian citrus jungle duck
- 2 kg duck, cut into serving pieces
- 2 small red chili peppers, seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 500 ml orange juice
- 2 oranges, juice of, fresh
- 1 orange rind, cut into julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 15 g gingerroot, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into 3 then crushed
- 15 g nuoc cham sauce
- 15 g gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Mix marinade ingredients with half of the oil.
- Coat both sides of duck pieces and marinade the longer the better preferably overnight.
- Put some oil in a heavy oven proof pan and place marinated duck pieces in it and cook till golden.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the duck cook for 10 mins more then turn again and sprinkle with rest of the sugar; Cook further 10 minutes.
- Take out and drain.
- In the fat fry off the garlic ginger and lemon grass and chilies.
- When this is cooked stir in the lime juice, julienne orange peel, orange juice and the nuoc cham sauce.
- Put back the duck then place in a heavy oven dish and cook until duck is ready 1 - 2 hours in a moderate oven.