Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
From The Australian Women's Weekly Christmas Cooking. Watermelon is thought to have originated in southern Africa, where it is found growing wild, because it reaches maximum genetic diversity there, resulting in sweet, bland and bitter forms. The prep time does not include the standing and freezing times.
- 1 cup vodka
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 3⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 seedless watermelon, halved (6 to 7 lb)
- 2 cups lemonade, chilled
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Pierce melon flesh several time, making sure you don't puncture the outer rind.
- Strain vodka mixture into a jug and gradually pour half of it over the melon flesh.
- Enclose melon halves with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Remove melon from freezer and allow it to stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Remove rind and chop melon coarsely.
- Blend or process melon flesh with remaining vodka mixture, in batches.
- Pour into punch bowl and stir in lemonade.