Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Spotted this recipe on a carton of Rice Dream rice milk. Go ahead and add your favorite ingredients. I added a few extra ingredients myself.
- 1 lb loaf French bread, day old
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups rice milk (Rice Dream enriched, vanilla flavored)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease a 13" x 9" baking dish. Tear or cube the French bread into 1" pieces and place in the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, egg yolks, butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar, orange juice, zest and vanilla extract. Set 1/4 cup of sugar aside.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and Rice Dream to the egg mixture; whisking well until blended. Stir in the raisins and nuts if using.
- Pour the mixture over the French bread then lightly stir the mixture to coat and to prevent the bread pudding from burning.
- Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle top with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Baked uncovered for another 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden and pudding "puffs" up. Add the almonds last 10-15 minutes of baking.
- Serve warm. Dollop with non dairy topping or fresh whipping cream if desired.