Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I got the recipe from an Italian cookbook, and it's a favorite for my husband and I. It seems like a complicated recipe, but it's very easy. A hand chopper is REALLY handy for this recipe too! This can feed 6-10 people depending on the serving sizes. (Prep time is approximate)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tender celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 2 TSP dried)
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups peeled seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned imported Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped)
- 1 cup store-bought beef broth
- 1 lb penne
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Pour the oil into a skillet large enough to hold all of the cooked pasta. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and basil. Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently to break up any lumps, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a simmer. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low heat 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 2 TBSP of salt, then the pasta. Stir well. Cook over high heat, stirring frequently, until the pasta is almost tender but slightly underdone. Set aside some cooking water. Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring the pasta well, for 2 minutes, adding some of the water if necessary. Stir in the cheeses and serve immediately.
It was fantastic!!! My boyfriend and I made for dinner when we invited his parents over and they loved it! It was the first time we made it but we will definitely have it again! Absolutely wonderful with a bottle of red!