Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from Dr. Evelyn Bateman, found in a 1965 fundraising cookbook for Toronto's Women's College Hospital. She says it's "foolproof, easy and tasty".
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, soft
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup toasted, chopped almonds
- In a medium-sized heavy saucepan, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, cold water and wine until mixture is a smooth paste.
- Over medium heat, cook until mixture is thick and clear, whisking frequently.
- Whisk in cream, butter, vanilla, salt and nuts, if using.
- Sauce is ready when butter melts.
I needed a sauce to rescue a slightly overcooked cake. Even with water instead of white wine and canned milk instead of cream the sauce was great - my guests raved about the dessert! The toasted almonds really picked up the flavor. Thanks for posting this!