Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tired of Chicken and Dumplings? Have any left over dove from the Fall's hunt? Try this. Totally different with the beef broth and the liverish dove breast. I would like to try it reducing the broth and omitting the dumplings and making a thicker mixture to spoon over noodles. I used the last of my dove though and I can't until September. If anybody does let me know how it turns out.
- 12 dove breasts, boned
- 2 cups milk
- 8 cups beef broth
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 green onions
- 1 cup button mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 dumplings, I use Dumplings
- Put Dove Breast in a bowl and cover with milk. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Bring Broth to a boil in a stock pot. Add Breast (discard milk) and cook 45 minutes at a slow boil.
- While Breast are cooking, cook Bacon in a fry pan until crisp. Remove Bacon (crumble and set aside) and reserve the drippings.
- Slice the Onions and Mushrooms to 1/8" slices. Keep the green tops and chop to a fine chop. Set the tops aside for garnish.
- Add the Onions and Mushrooms to the drippings and sautee for about 5 minutes. Add the Butter, Garlic Powder and Cayenne pepper and simmer until Butter is clarified about 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly sprinkle the Flour over the mixture stirring constantly.
- Continue cooking about 2 minutes constantly stirring to disperse the flour evenly. Add sour cream and stir until smooth. Cut off heat and cover.
- Add Dumplings recipe #30965 to Stock pot with the breast and simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Uncover pan and add the Onion and Mushroom mixture slowly to the Stock Pot. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Ladle in bowls and sprinkle the onion tops and crumbled bacon on top.
- Serve hot with a good hearty bread for dipping.