Prep 1 hr
Cook 17 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Dessert of the Day’
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, at cool room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- kosher salt, a pinch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 18 standard muffin cups with paper liners, or grease with butter and dust with flour.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl.
- In a large bowl, using the electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix on low speed just until blended.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and beat just until blended.
- The batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full.
- Bake until the edges of the cupcakes are pale golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 17 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and let cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift the powdered sugar over the butter and add the milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Beat on med-high speed until smooth.
- Spread the frosting on the tops of the cupcakes and serve.