Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found sunflower seed flour at my local health food store the other day and was dying for a chance to try it out! This whole wheat yeast bread has whole seeds as well for crunch and ground flaxseed for extra oomph!
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground sunflower seeds (I used Flour Power Sunflower Seed Flour by Oilseed Works)
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl (or in a stand mixer with the dough hook), combine flours, sugar, flaxseed, allspice and yeast, mixing well.
- Stir in the warm water until it comes together into a shaggy dough. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Beat in the butter until well incorporated, then knead (in the mixer or on a floured board) for 10 minutes.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Knead in the sunflower seeds, shape into a loaf and place into a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake loaf for 45 minutes, turn out of the pan immediately and cool on a wire rack.