Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
from Cooking Light's Holiday Cookbook
Make and share this Double Ginger Pumpkin Flans recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly coat 6 6 oz ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine water and sugar for caramel in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, without stirring, or until mixture turns golden around outside edges. Divide evenly into prepared ramekins and set aside.
- For flan, combine sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, and spices.
- Combine milk, half and half, and fresh ginger in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until tiny bubbles form around edge, but DO NOT BOIL (180 degrees).
- Gradually, add half of milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with whisk.
- Return milk mixture to pan, reduce heat, and cook to 160 degrees, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Remove from heat, and strain thru a sieve over a large bowl, discarding solids.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared ramekins. Place cups in a 9 x 13 baking pan, and add 1 inch of HOT water to pan.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cups from pan, cool completely on wire rack. Chill at least 8 hours, or preferably overnight.
- To serve, carefully loosen edges of custards with a knife. Invert ramekins over plates. Drizzle any remaining caramel over custards.