Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Double the pleasure! Adapted from Cooking With Paula(Deen) magazine. I don't eat bacon, so adapted this to suit my taste. Actually, you could make this without the bacon and it will still be good. Sometimes you could skip toasting the bread, and yep, it'll still be great. I hope you enjoy.
- 12 slice vegetarian bacon
- 12 slice whole grain bread (I love rye and pumpernickel)
- curly green leaf lettuce
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced to desired thickness
- fresh basil, sliced (optional)
- Cook the bacon and place on paper towels. When cool, break each slice in half.
- Toast the bread slices.
- Spread mayonnaise on 2 slices of bread. Now lay lettuce leaf, tomato slices, and 3 pieces of the broken veggie bacon on one slice.
- Top with other bread slice, mayonnaise side up. Lay lettuce leaf, tomato slices and 3 pieces of broken bacon on bread. Top with additional slice of bread.
- Repeat for remaining three sandwiches. Slice diagonally and serve. Great served with pickles and chips. Enjoy!
It took me a while to find vegetarian bacon and when I did I found the taste to be a little bland (I guess I expected more since I keep kosher). But overall, it was a really good sandwhich, and it made for a nice, light supper.
Yummy! I used untoasted bread, a fresh garden tomato, and iceberg lettuce for this great sandwich. So simple and so good. Thanks Sharon for sharing. Made for Football Pool - week 5. Congrats again Sharon on your win!
So tasty! We used Morningstar Farms bacon and it tasted delish! We will definitely make this again. Next time I might make mine a single sandwich cause it's really filling. Thanks!