Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
M & M's make these a fun addition to any children's party but adults will love them as well. For easier slicing, turn cooled brownies upside down on a cutting board. The tops won't crumble when the bars are cut from the bottom.
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 cup M&M's semi-sweet chocolate baking bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (176 celsius).
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Cream together 3/4 cup butter and both sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In a seperate medium size bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt; blend into creamed mixture.
- Divide batter in half.
- Blend together cocoa powder and melted butter; stir into one half of the dough.
- Spread cocoa dough evenly into the prepared pan.
- Stir remaining 1/4 flour and 1/2 cup M&M's baking bits into remaining dough; spread evenly over the cocoa dough in the pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining M&M's baking bits.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until edges start to pull away from sides of the pan.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in tightly covered container.
These brownies were gobbled up fast at my son's Scout meeting. DS whispered to me, we have some left at home for us, right! Just loved the soft and chewy texture of these brownies. I can see I will be making this a lot! Thanks Karen.
Baking time was spot on for me. My brownie came off the pan easily, and I had no problem cutting it. I was expecting a chewier and fudgier brownie, and this was kind of cake-like. It tasted delicious, and so cheery looking, too. I will try making this again, but will cut down on the flour a bit to see if texture improves the second time. Thank you for posting.
WOW! These were soft and chewy and just DEELISH!! My DSS has already put in another request for them and we just finished off the pan!! Thank you for posting this one Karen!