Recipe by ktenille
We have four apple trees in our yard and my mom and MIL both have apple trees too so in the fall we are up to our ears in apples. While I love to make apple pie, we got kind of appled out this year and so I invented these apple bars so that we had another option. Everyone just loves them and ever since I shared the first pan I get tons of requests for them. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- 5 cups apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Note* The crusts can be mixed seperately mixed as explained in the recipe or mixed all at the same time using 2/3 of the mixture for the bottom crust.
- Combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup shortening and 1 1/2 cups flour. (This mixture will be crumbly).
- Press this mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 cake pan.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Mix this with apples.
- Spread apple mixture over unbaked crust.
- Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup shortening and 3/4 cup flour. (mixture will be crumbly).
- Evenly sprinkle this mixture over apples.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Note* Great when served with cool whip or ice cream!