Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This bread is wonderfully moist and so delicious -with or without the herbs. I enjoy this bread with a bowl of hot soup! I have not included the time it takes for the bread machine to make the dough, and the preparation time does not include the time it takes for the dough to rise.
- 3 teaspoons granulated yeast
- 2 cups bread flour (white)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal, fine or coarse
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup canned creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons coarse cornmeal (optional)
- Carefully measure all the ingredients into bread machine pan in the order that I've listed them inches.
- Select the'dough' cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, remove from bread machine pan.
- (tip out onto floured surface).
- Roll or pat the dough into a square- a little longer than the bread pan, and then roll it into a cylinder shape.
- Place in lightly greased loaf tin.
- Gently press the dough into the corners and level the top.
- Leave to rise in a warm, draught-free place for about 1 hour- or until the dough looks like it has approximately doubled in size.
- If desired, dampen the top with a little milk or water and sprinkle with the extra coarse cornmeal.
- Bake at 200'C for 20-30 minutes, until the crust is a nice golden colour.
- VARIATION: Shape the dough to form 2 long'sausages', and twist together.