Recipe by SAHMchef
This recipe is modified from Joy Bauer's excellent cookbook, "Slim and Scrumptious." Her recipe called for strawberry sauce, which adds Vitamin C but my kids wouldn't eat.
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients of the batter: flours, cocoa, sugar, flax seeds, baking powder and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, egg, egg white,oil, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir just until mixed. *Do not overmix.*.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat a griddle with a liberal coating of oil spray to prevent sticking. Preheat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles on the hot pan.
- Pour 1/4 c batter for each pancake, and cook until bubbly in the middle. Flip gently and cook for another minute until cooked through.
- *Coat the skillet with oil after each batch so the pancakes don't stick.*.