Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I'm posting this recipe for a friend and haven't tried it myself yet. I will have to soon, though - smooth chocolate mousse with crunchy bits of chopped chocolate sounds pretty good! Note that the recipe contains raw eggs.
- 200 g semisweet chocolate (high quality)
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon liqueur
- mint leaves (optional) or lemon balm leaves (optional)
- Chop up 1/3 of the chocolate (finely or coarsely, your choice!), set aside.
- Whip cream with sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Separate egg whites and yolks. Whip yolks until light; in another bowl, whip egg whites until stiff.
- Melt the remaining 2/3 of the chocolate on top of a double boiler.
- Add the whipped egg yolks to the melted chocolate; stir to combine.
- Add whipped cream, chopped chocolate and lemon liqueur, stir.
- Carefully fold in whipped egg whites.
- Divide the mousse evenly among 4-6 individual dessert bowls and refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight. Garnish with mint or lemon balm leaves.
I was looking for a lighter fare mousse and this was OMG perfect!! This isn't intensly rich, which was why I liked it so much. My brother is a mousse lover and is usually very picky about the texture but he actually liked this one. I do have to confess that at number 3, adding the egg yolks, the chocolate **clumped**. It turned this dark brown, burnt wood kind of color.(I think I added the eggs too soon, when the chocolate was still hot.) I nearly burst into tears....But then I just spooned and whisked in a couple spoons of the whipped cream and sifted(yes, sifted)the whole thing. You know what? Totally good as new!! It was the creamy and glossy mixture I'd almost lost! YAY!!! Anyways, I love lemon and my brother hates it(can't imagine why)so I divided the batter in half at number 6. I used all 2 tablespoons of lemon extract in my half -didn't cut back on that on purpose cuz I just looove lemon!:D Mine turned out to be a heavenly lemoney, light chocolate goodness while my brother's was a light chocolate mousse and crunchy chips with every mouthful! Either way it was really great. I think I'll make this for my friend's birthday next week! Thanks for the great recipe!!
Another wonderful chocolate mousse from the Quisine Queens! I coarsely chopped the chocolate and used lemon extract. Refrigerated overnight and used mint leaves for a garnish! The light lemon taste with the creamy chocolate, awesome! I enjoyed this very much!