Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Startribune cookie bake-off winning recipe.
Make and share this Double Chocolate-Cherry Espresso Drops recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- white almond bark, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix instant espresso powder and water and reserve. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and reserve. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and granulated sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add dark brown sugar and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add egg and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Add vanilla extract and reserved espresso mixture and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Stir in cherries and chocolate chips.
- Using a 1-inch scoop, drop cookie dough on prepared baking sheets, spacing dough 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes; because cookie is very dark, it's difficult to tell if they are overbaked. Watch center of cookies; when they lose their gooey quality, they are done. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. In a microwave oven, or using a double boiler over gently simmering water, melt almond bark and lightly drizzle over cookies, optional.