1 hr 5 mins
Serve this delicious cake warm topped with whipped cream YUMMMMMM! Make certain to grease your pan very well so that the cake and banana/brown sugar mixture removes easily when inverted onto a plate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large firm ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar (can use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter an 8-inch non-stick square cake pan.
- 3Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons butter pieces into the baking pan, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- 4Slice the whole bananas crosswise about 1/2-inch thick slices, then arrange the slices in a single layer in the pan over the brown sugar.
- 5Drizzle evenly with orange juice.
- 6In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 7In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the 1/4 cup softened butter with 3/4 cup sugar until well blended.
- 8Beat in the egg until blended, then beat in the 1/2 cup mashed bananas.
- 9Add in the floured mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating at low speed until just completely incorporated.
- 10Mix in the chocolate chips.
- 11Spread the batter over the sliced bananas in the pan.
- 12Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- 13Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a knife between the cake and pan sides.
- 14Invert a platter over cake, holding both together invert again, then carefully lift the pan off.
- 15Serve warm with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Banana Chocolate Chip Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.4
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 177.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 39.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g