Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Serve this delicious cake warm topped with whipped cream YUMMMMMM! Make certain to grease your pan very well so that the cake and banana/brown sugar mixture removes easily when inverted onto a plate.
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large firm ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (can use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch non-stick square cake pan.
- Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons butter pieces into the baking pan, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Slice the whole bananas crosswise about 1/2-inch thick slices, then arrange the slices in a single layer in the pan over the brown sugar.
- Drizzle evenly with orange juice.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the 1/4 cup softened butter with 3/4 cup sugar until well blended.
- Beat in the egg until blended, then beat in the 1/2 cup mashed bananas.
- Add in the floured mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating at low speed until just completely incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter over the sliced bananas in the pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a knife between the cake and pan sides.
- Invert a platter over cake, holding both together invert again, then carefully lift the pan off.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Wonderful! The whole family loved it.
Gorgeous cake. I made it for my son's 2nd birthday as bananas are his favourite. It was easy, moist, delicious. We served it warm with sweet whipped cream and it was gone within 5 minutes! Thanks for posting xx
Tonight was a total Kittencal dinner except for the vegetables. We had the Chicken Wellington with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, with the Easy Parmesan Potato Rounds and this for dessert. I really love your recipes. Keep posting them. ChefRaylene