Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Serve this delicious cake warm topped with whipped cream YUMMMMMM! Make certain to grease your pan very well so that the cake and banana/brown sugar mixture removes easily when inverted onto a plate.
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 large firm ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (can use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 8-inch non-stick square cake pan.
- Sprinkle the 3 tablespoons butter pieces into the baking pan, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Slice the whole bananas crosswise about 1/2-inch thick slices, then arrange the slices in a single layer in the pan over the brown sugar.
- Drizzle evenly with orange juice.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the 1/4 cup softened butter with 3/4 cup sugar until well blended.
- Beat in the egg until blended, then beat in the 1/2 cup mashed bananas.
- Add in the floured mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating at low speed until just completely incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter over the sliced bananas in the pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a knife between the cake and pan sides.
- Invert a platter over cake, holding both together invert again, then carefully lift the pan off.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Wonderful! The whole family loved it.
Gorgeous cake. I made it for my son's 2nd birthday as bananas are his favourite. It was easy, moist, delicious. We served it warm with sweet whipped cream and it was gone within 5 minutes! Thanks for posting xx
Tonight was a total Kittencal dinner except for the vegetables. We had the Chicken Wellington with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, with the Easy Parmesan Potato Rounds and this for dessert. I really love your recipes. Keep posting them. ChefRaylene