Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
In our country this is a culinary staple. It is a time consuming meal but so worth it. When families make this, it's usually for special occacions and family gatherings. Since it takes a long time to cook, usually we make it while the guests are present so they can sit back and enjoy some cold beers (and keep you company!) ;) You can omit the ribs, sausage and goat if it's too expensive but at least keep the 5. Recipezaar doesn't recognize niame, so I put yam...but it's not your typical yam. Go to a fresh market store that carries imported roots to find the niame. The Bitter or Seville orange can be hard to find, It's preferred fresh but Goya sells a bottled type. You may also omit it if you want.
- 2 lbs chopped beef, for stews (with bones)
- 1 lb chopped goat meat
- 1 lb pork sausage (longaniza)
- 1 lb chopped pork
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts, with bone
- 2 lbs pork ribs
- 1 lb soup bones (from smoked ham)
- 4 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon crushed fresh garlic
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb yucca root, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb yam, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (niame or Ã±ame)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb malanga, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 unripe plantains, peeled 2 cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 corn on the cob, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1⁄4 gallon water
- 1⁄4 cup bitter oranges or 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed seville orange juice
- Marinate beef in a large plastic bag, add celery, cilantro, oregano, vinegar, garlic, juice of 1 lime and salt. Allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes In a large cast iron pot, heat oil on medium-high; add the beef with all the seasonings, stir. Cover and simmer for 10 mins, add a few tbsp of water. Add the pork, simmer for 15 minutes adding a few more tbsp of water if needed. Add the rest of the meat to the pot; except for the chicken and let simmer for an additional 15 mins, adding tbsp of water as needed to prevent it from burning. Add the chicken and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 gallon of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the niame, malanga and the 2 chopped plantains. Let simmer for 15 minutes Add all the remaining ingredients (remaining lime juice, corn, beef stock cubes, hot sauce, bitter orange juice) except for the third plantain, adjust water when necessary, stir occasionally. Let simmer until the last ingredients added are tender. Grate the third raw unripe plantain and add to the pot. Allow to simmer until stew thickens, adjust salt to taste.
- Serve hot with white rice and avocados. Enjoy!