Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
vine leaves stuffed with mince and rice great appetizer served with ztatziki(yoghurt dip)
- 1⁄4 cup anise
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs minced beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 90 -100 grape leaves, if you cant get vine leaves use dark cabbage leaves
- put vine leaves in boiling water for 3 minutes,.
- mix rice,meat,anise,pepper,onions and parsley.
- put a tsp of filling in each leaf,roll lightly and tuck in edges but not too tight since rice will puff.
- if leaves are too small use two each time.
- be careful to fold leaves with their face on the outside.
- take a saucepan and lay dolmadhes in layers side by side.
- add 4 cups of water,butter and salt.
- place a china plate on them to keep them firmly in place.
- simmer slowly at F200 degrees for 90 minutes.
- serve with tzatziki.