Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
What I love about this jello-based salad is that it's not too sweet. Like the name implies, it is a "heavenly" accompaniment to everything else on your plate. If you like pina coladas, you'll love this salad. I think it got the name because it looks like a bowlful of divinity candy once it has set up (note that it needs to be refrigerated 12-24 hours before serving). I hope you enjoy this family favorite!
- 2 (170.09 g) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 236.59 ml boiling water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml granulated sugar
- 473.18 ml small curd cottage cheese
- 473.18 ml crushed pineapple, undrained
- 473.19 ml whipping cream, whipped (don't use prepared whipped cream)
- 59.16 ml mayonnaise (real mayo, not salad dressing like Miracle Whip)
- 236.59 ml chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh parsley (optional)
- Dissolve the jello, salt and sugar in the boiling water. Place in the fridge and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- While jello mixture is cooling, whip the whipping cream using a mixer on high speed. The whipped cream is ready when it thickens and peaks. Be careful not to over whip.
- Add the following to the jello mixture: cottage cheese, pineapple, mayo and nuts. Mix well.
- Now gently fold the whipped cream into the jello mixture. This will make the mixture very light and fluffy.
- Pour into a pretty presentation bowl.
- For a nice presentation at holiday time, garnish with the maraschino cherries and a sprig of parsley to look like holly berries.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.