Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
If you like peanut brittle this will be an extra special treat for you! The cooking time is approximate, and does not include cooling time.
- 1⁄4 cup hershey's cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups salted peanuts or 1 1⁄4 cups cashews or 1 1⁄4 cups pecans or 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts or 1 1⁄4 cups macadamia nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly butter a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together cocoa and baking soda. Add butter and set aside.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan stir together sugar, corn syrup and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the nuts you are using.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 300°F on candy thermometer, or until syrup, when dropped into very cold water, separates into threads which are hard and brittle. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.).
- Remove from heat. Stir in cocoa mixture.
- Immediately pour onto a prepared cookie sheet.
- With tongs or wooden spoons, quickly spread and pull into 1/4" thickness.
- Place cookie sheet on wire rack, and cool completely.
- Break into pieces, and store in a tightly covered container.