Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
The challenge for Dining on a Dollar Contest, 2008, was to come up with a meal using ramen noodles and a few other ingredients from a select list. This is a savory dinner or lunch that can be made in a short amount of time but gives a BIG amount of flavor. The simplicity of making this meal is wonderful even for the beginning cook. It can be used for everyday dinners or lunches as well as company is coming. No one will believe it is a budget friendly meal. Serve with your favorite vegetables. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends did.
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles (minus seasoning packet)
- 1⁄2 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1⁄4 lb carrot, julienned
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced into strips (large white)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, julienned
- 1⁄2 green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (can use more to tastes)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (can use more to tastes)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, melt olive oil and 2 tbsp butter on medium low heat.
- Add in all ingredients except chicken, carrots, and noodles and sauté til el dente, scoop out into serving dish. ( Do NOT wash out skillet yet).
- In same skillet add in additional tbsp of butter and more olive oil if needed, add chicken and cook on medium til all pink is gone. Approx 4 min depending on thickness of chicken strips.
- In a separate pan at the same time bring 2 c water to a rolling boil. Turn down heat and Add in carrots and cook for 2 min then add in noodles and cook an additional 1-2 minute.
- Drain any remaining liquid and toss into skillet., stir.
- Then take vegetable mixture from serving dish and incorporate back into skillet to reheat on med low heat. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and incorporate through.
- Return all to serving platter and voila.
- Serve with crusty bread.
- Options: other vegetables can be substituted or interchanged for variety such as broccoli, spinach, chard, zucchini disks, etc.
- You can keep noodles separate and serve the chicken veggie mixture over top of the noodles as opposed to mixed together.