1/1 Photo of Dining on a $ With Chicken Breasts
The challenge for Dining on a Dollar Contest, 2008, was to come up with a meal using ramen noodles and a few other ingredients from a select list. This is a savory dinner or lunch that can be made in a short amount of time but gives a BIG amount of flavor. The simplicity of making this meal is wonderful even for the beginning cook. It can be used for everyday dinners or lunches as well as company is coming. No one will believe it is a budget friendly meal. Serve with your favorite vegetables. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles (minus seasoning packet)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast, sliced into strips
- 1/4 lb carrot, julienned
- 1/2 onion, sliced into strips (large white)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 green pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (not margarine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning (can use more to tastes)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (can use more to tastes)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups water
- 1In large skillet, melt olive oil and 2 tbsp butter on medium low heat.
- 2Add in all ingredients except chicken, carrots, and noodles and sauté til el dente, scoop out into serving dish. ( Do NOT wash out skillet yet).
- 3In same skillet add in additional tbsp of butter and more olive oil if needed, add chicken and cook on medium til all pink is gone. Approx 4 min depending on thickness of chicken strips.
- 4In a separate pan at the same time bring 2 c water to a rolling boil. Turn down heat and Add in carrots and cook for 2 min then add in noodles and cook an additional 1-2 minute.
- 5Drain any remaining liquid and toss into skillet., stir.
- 6Then take vegetable mixture from serving dish and incorporate back into skillet to reheat on med low heat. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and incorporate through.
- 7Return all to serving platter and voila.
- 8Serve with crusty bread.
- 9Options: other vegetables can be substituted or interchanged for variety such as broccoli, spinach, chard, zucchini disks, etc.
- 10You can keep noodles separate and serve the chicken veggie mixture over top of the noodles as opposed to mixed together.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dining on a $ With Chicken Breasts
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.2
- Calories from Fat 302
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 83.4 mg
- Sodium 739.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon pepper seasoning