Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
A very dear friend of mine, L.D.Osni, lived in Egypt for a while and was married to an Egyptian. She taught me this recipe. It is a little spicy, and I love it!
Top Review by AshK
A very nice dish, I used it as a bed for some grilled fish and chicken. My son didn't love it by both my husband and I really thought the spices were nice and the tang of the sauce was different and enjoyable. Reviewed for ZWT III
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 large garlic cloves (minced fine)
- 1 large onion (chopped fine)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your heat quotient, but 1/4 does not make it too hot)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large enough pot; add onions.
- Sauté the onions until translucent (about 6 minutes).
- Add garlic; sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the can of tomato paste, and sauté, constantly stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water.
- Stir in the vinegar, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Slow simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.