Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A lemon and dill dressing make a much livelier version than Grandma's over-sweetened three bean salad. The canned beans are interchangeable, but choose for a variety of shape and color. Don't let it sit more than about 6 hours before serving, as the lemon juice can discolor the green beans. If you must make it earlier, keep the green beans out until shortly before serving. Adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe.
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (or red kidney beans, lima beans, butter beans, or chickpeas)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, blanched in boiling water 4 minutes, drained, and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Toss first three ingredients together in a large bowl; let it sit and macerate 5 to 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.