Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a recipe from Otava’s book, New Flavours from Finland. Cook time doesn’t include 24 hours marinating time. This starter goes well with dark bread, beer, and chilled schnapps.
- 2 lbs salmon fillets, from the middle of the fish
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dried fennel
- 1⁄3 cup dried dill
- 10 whole white peppercorns, coarsely ground
For the Mustard Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ordinary mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 1⁄2 ounces oil
- white pepper
- Remove all the bones from the salmon fillet. Mix the salts and the sugar in one bowl and the fennel and dill in a separate bowl. Place the fish in a salting dish, skin side down. Rub the fish all over with the sugar salt mixture. Add the coarsely ground white peppercorns and cover the whole fillet with the fennel-dill mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Put the mustards and the sugar in a bowl and mix well. Add the white wine vinegar and whisk in the oil, a few drops at a time. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Remove the fillet from the cold just before serving. Leave the herbs on the surface of the fish. Cut the seasoned fillet diagonally into narrow strips.
- Serve with the mustard sauce.