Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Entry in RSC #10.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Boil or steam the sliced carrots until fork-tender. Drain, set aside and keep hot in a serving bowl.
- While carrots cook, melt butter in a small saucepan; add finely chopped red onion and the brown sugar and sauté for about 5 minutes; stirring often.
- Whisk in the flour until flour lumps are gone.
- Stir in the Dijon and the cloves.
- Add the heavy cream and cook over med-low heat for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over hot cooked carrots; toss a bit and serve.
This was pretty good. I steamed my carrots.
I made 1/2 the recipe and after I adjusted it (because of the sauce was way to thick I need to add 1/2 cup of broth)would have enjoyed the whole amount. Very tasty love the cloves in this. Cooking times should be stated for the carrots! I cooked mine in the microwave oven for 4 minutes then added to the thick sauce hoping it would thin some but didn`t at which point I added the broth. This would have been 5 stars if you tweaked it a bit. I loved it! Thanks.
I am giving this a 4 star because I thought they deserved 5 stars but my daughter thought 3 stars. So I am compromising. I think these are it when you want something just a bit different, but good tasting.