Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Alternative "diet soup" that does not include cabbage. Recipe is from Good Housekeeping. To retain freshness and nutrients keep a 2 day supply of Basic Soup in the refrigerator. Pack remaining soup in 3 cup portions in airtight containers, leaving some room for expansion. Freeze.
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch slices
- 3 medium celery ribs, sliced
- 3 large onions, chopped or 3 medium leeks, each cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (in juice)
- 1⁄2 medium cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 12 ounces green beans, each cut into thirds
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 (5 ounce) packages baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Coat pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Over medium high heat add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon.
- Add cauliflower, remaining ingredients and 12 cups of water.
- Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until vegetables become tender.
- Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Great! I love all these veggies. I even added a few frozen peas and a cup each of turnip and rutabaga. I didn't have leeks, so I used onion and that worked out good. I also added 2 cans of beef broth and used beef boullion, just because my husband will eat it better if it's got a beefy taste. It has a lot of veggie flavor, we really liked it! Thanks Jo Ann, for another keeper!
This soup is excellent!! The only changes I made were: I substituted some of the water for low fat vegetable broth and one can of Tomato soup. It was easy to make. I take one cup of this to work and have it for my lunch. Really delicious.
Very good.I didn't have all the fresh ingredients but I put some frozen vegetables and it turned out excellent.