Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom wasn't a great chef, any recipe of her's I CAN DO WAY BETTER!
- 226.79 g pasta, of your choice
- 290.58 g can cream of celery soup (PLEASE DO NOT USE "cream of MUSHROOM", use "cream of CELERY SOUP" only. "Cream of MUSHROOM" is Soo Y)
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise (fresh is best, see my recipe for 'Fresh Mayonnaise', I know, I'm very picky about my ingredients )
- 177.44 ml evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, divided
- 118.29 ml finely chopped celery
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 113.39 g fresh mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 198.44 g can tuna
- 453.59 g frozen peas and carrot (PLEASE DON'T USE CANNED VEGGIES, they have NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE AT ALL. Canned veggies were only mad)
- 4.92 ml white pepper (this is optional, but it really makes this SPECTACULAR, if you add this, whoever eats this will thin)
- Cook egg noodles to al dente in boiling salted water; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large casserole dish, reserving 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I had to make this for lunch today when my sister came over. Her husband hates tuna in anything so when she is here, I like to give her tuna as she loves it and never gets it at home. I made a few changes to suit our taste. I added 1 can of drained peas (no carrots). I also added 1/4 c sour cream to the mayonnaise. I used fresh white button mushrooms sliced and sauteed them with the onion before adding to the casserole. I only use white albacore chunk tuna in the gold can because that's what we like the best. I used a can of Campbell's healthy request low sodium mushroom soup and it didn't make this casserole "gross" at all. We loved it. I think next time, I will try it with the celery soup but keep the sour cream in there. This is realy a good base for tuna casserole....one of the better ones I have tried. Thanks for sharing it.