I think the bacon (and amount of it!) on top is what makes these baked beans taste so great! They are always gobbled up, even by people who claim not to really care for baked beans, that much. Oh, and they're really easy, too! :-)
- Fry the bacon (I nuke it); crumble and reserve 3 tablespoons grease.
- Cook the chopped onion in the grease.
- Mix the cooked onion, pork and beans, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and worcestershire.
- Pour into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon and cook for 15 more minutes.
This is very close to a recipe my mother used to make -- she didn't add onion and always chucked raw bacon into the beans before cooking. Your version is divine. I followed your instructions, except that I used straight beans -- not pork and beans. Also, Australian bacon doesn't yield much grease, so I had to add some oil to cook the onion. Made and enjoyed for Pick a Chef.