Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got a similar version of this recipe from a friend but had to tweek it for my fiance' who is diabetic. It is not 100% sugar free (less then 1 gram per serving) and very low in fat and calories without sacrificing taste, ENJOY!!
- 177.44 ml egg white, beat (or egg substitute)
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 118.29 ml fat-free margarine, melted
- 473.18 ml zucchini, shredded
- 118.29 ml carrot, shredded
- 88.74 ml Splenda brown sugar blend (3/4 cup reg. brown sugar)
- 177.44 ml Splenda granular
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 59.14 ml walnuts, chopped
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two medium loaf pans.
- In a bowl combine egg, brown sugar, sugar, apple sauce, and margarine.
- To bowl add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Add flour slowly.
- Add shredded carrots, zucchini and nuts.
- Beat mixture (by hand or mixer).
- Pour loaf into pans.
- Bake 45 mins or 'til toothpick comes out clean.
Perfect for our needs i.e. overabundance of zucchini! Loved the addition of carrot. I altered the eggs by using 1TB ground flax seed + 3 TBS water for each egg equivalent.
So glad to find a sugar free low fat YUMMY quick bread that doesn't taste like cardboard! I made just one change because I didn't have whole wheat flour; I used King Arthur white whole wheat instead (I suppose you could even use regular AP flour, but haven't tried that yet). The bread came out moist, easy to slice, nice balance of flavors. The carrots give it a little extra boost of healthy, but you don't really know they are there. I was tempted to throw in some raisins, but didn't in order to keep the sugar level down. I will keep this recipe and use it often!
Being a diabetic its hard to find a recipe that fills my sweet needs and this most definitely did it