Prep 7 mins
Cook 1 hr
from Mr. Food's Quick & Easy Diabetic Cooking
Make and share this Diabetic Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices raw bacon
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large pot, cook the bacon for 3 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat until crisp. Add the celery, carrots, and onion, and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is tender; Stir frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
We loved this chowder! Very quick, easy and delicious- - you don't have to be a diabetic to enjoy! I added a splash of extra virgin olive oil and a splash of local chardonnay, and got a big thumbs up from DH! Will make again, but won't add the clams until the last few minutes of cooking next time. Thanks Moirianne! Made for the January Lite & Low-Fat (Healthy) photos forum event.
This was positively YUMMY! Will definitely make it again and again! Thanks!