Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spring is here! Let the cookouts begin. Here is a simple but good recipe for barbecue sauce that is sure to please.
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (I use brown sugar substitute.)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes on low heat.
- Best if allowed to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Can be used immediately after preparing.
Wow! I am really excited to find this recipe. I added the ingredients to my baked bean recipe in place of the BBQ sauce and everyone loved it! The only change I made was to use a bit less lemon juice. This is so much healthier with less sugar content than the regular stuff. I'm sure I will be using this often. Thanks for posting!
This was a SUPER BBQ sauce ! I subbed lime juice for the lemon, and doubled the tomato sauce as I needed alot of sauce, but it did not seem to detract from the flavors ~ tart, tangy, and a little spicy and very much kid-friendly too! Thanks for this super-easy recipe Paula, we loved it. Made for PARTYING THE DIABETIC WAY, January 2010!
Paula - this sauce was a winner in our house and so easy to make. I used it tonight with some left-over Slow Cooker Herb Pork Roast (#31161) that I shredded for sandwiches. I served with Coleslaw #47606 and some left-over pinto beans. Excellent recipe which I am moving to my "Tried and True" folder.