Recipe by MomLuvs6
From The Belgian Cookbook. For ZWT6
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow, was this good MomLuvs6. Truly an outstanding cake. I absolutely adored the flavor and texture of this cake. It reminded me of meragne but with a sturdier texture, light, tender, fluffy and crispy on the outsides. I love what the ground almonds do for this cake. It was easy to make with fabulous results. Easily the best cake I have made on this site so far. I split the cake added fresh stewed strawberries and vanilla whipped cream and garnished with a little powdered sugar. This beautiful treat will be going into my Best of 2011 cookbook. Thank you to momaphet for recommending it and also a big thank you to MomLuvs6 for sharing her recipe with all of us. Made for best of 2010.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour well a 9x9x2" cake pan.
- In a small mixing bowl sift flour and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- Add 4 egg yolks and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes or longer. Mixture should be thick and light.
- Add ground almonds and vanilla, stir.
- Gradually add the flour and cornstarch, mixing well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, add a 1/4 cup of them to mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites, gently.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from cake pan and turn right side up.
- To Serve: Cut cake in half. Fill with jam or whipped cream or both.