Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
From The Belgian Cookbook. For ZWT6
Make and share this Dessert Cake Namur (Gateau Namurois) recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour well a 9x9x2" cake pan.
- In a small mixing bowl sift flour and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- Add 4 egg yolks and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat for 5 minutes or longer. Mixture should be thick and light.
- Add ground almonds and vanilla, stir.
- Gradually add the flour and cornstarch, mixing well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, add a 1/4 cup of them to mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the rest of the egg whites, gently.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick come out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, remove from cake pan and turn right side up.
- To Serve: Cut cake in half. Fill with jam or whipped cream or both.
Wow, was this good MomLuvs6. Truly an outstanding cake. I absolutely adored the flavor and texture of this cake. It reminded me of meragne but with a sturdier texture, light, tender, fluffy and crispy on the outsides. I love what the ground almonds do for this cake. It was easy to make with fabulous results. Easily the best cake I have made on this site so far. I split the cake added fresh stewed strawberries and vanilla whipped cream and garnished with a little powdered sugar. This beautiful treat will be going into my Best of 2011 cookbook. Thank you to momaphet for recommending it and also a big thank you to MomLuvs6 for sharing her recipe with all of us. Made for best of 2010.
Yum! This is a denser version of a genoise that I've made for years and we really enjoyed it. I added almond extract and served it split with strawberries from the garden and whipped cream. This would make a great picnic/ brown bag snack as it doesn't seem to crumble. Thanks MomLuvs6! Made for ZWT6 ZINGO by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence
Oh, wow is this good! Such a pretty presentation, as well. I used some special blackberry preserves I've been saving. And they were well worth saving for this! Made a lovely dessert! Thnx for sharing your recipe, MomLuvs6. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.