Recipe by gailanng
A Canyon Cafe recipe. Note: Pico de gallo is a combination of chopped fresh tomatoes, cilantro, onions, garlic and peppers to taste. Add a splash of lime juice and a dash of salt. If you don't have time to make pico de gallo, substitute chopped fresh tomatoes. This topping adds tremendously to the finished dish.
Top Review by lin1
Wow this was good,rich and full of flavour.We loved this and will make again.It wasn't as spicy as I expected,I followed recipe,but next time I will probably add in more spices.So thanks for such a great recipe.
Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- 22.18 ml plus 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 22.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml diced onion
- 14.79 ml coarsely chopped fresh jalapeno
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 473.18 ml heavy cream
- 3.69 ml salt (to taste)
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper (to taste)
- 0.25 ml ground red pepper (cayenne)
Desert Fire Pasta
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (19-23-count)
- 177.44 ml sliced fresh mushrooms
- 9.85 ml minced fresh jalapenos
- 226.79 g angel hair pasta (about 4 cups cooked)
- 354.88 ml jalapenos, cream sauce (see recipe)
- 59.14 ml shredded parmesan cheese (or more to taste)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 59.14 ml fresh pico de gallo (simple to make)
Directions See How It's Made
- Jalapeno Cream Sauce: To make a roux, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter; whisk in flour. Set aside.
- Saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in the remaining 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Do not let the vegetables brown. Stir in cream, salt and black and red peppers; increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; whisk in the roux and cook until thickened. Set aside and keep warm to use in Desert Fire Pasta. Yields 2 cups.
- For the Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While water comes to a boil, heat oil in a large skillet; add shrimp, mushrooms and jalapeno. Cook, tossing frequently, just until shrimp are opaque.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water just until al dente, according to package directions. While pasta cooks, stir jalapeno cream sauce into the shrimp mixture. Cook until heated through; do not let boil.
- Drain cooked pasta well. Add to shrimp mixture; toss until well coated. Transfer to serving dishes; sprinkle with Parmesan, then parsley. Spoon pico de gallo atop each serving.