Recipe by Bluemaggs
A meal in itself
Top Review by Sharon123
This was very good! I did have to make a few changes. I put the beans and all into a pot to cook, then discovered I had to leave suddenly. So I put it all into a crockpot and cooked it about 8 hours. Yum! Thank you for a lovely meal. I served this with Cheese Spinach Quesadillas and The Best Guacamole.
- 3 cups pinto beans, uncooked
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes or 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (20 ounce) can veggie burgers (we use Worthington Vegetarian Burger)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and sort beans. Place in 4 quart kettle and add very hot water. Let stand for two hours or more. Drain off water and add hot water again, enough to cover beans.
- Add tomatoes, onions, bell pepper and seasonings. Bring to boil, then turn heat to lowest setting and cook about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add Vegetarian Burger and cook until heated through.