Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was given to me when I 'started cooking' by a close friend. It is a wonderful and easy dish. It keeps well in the refrigerator for a meal the next day!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup light cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon chervil or 1 teaspoon tarragon
- Begin cooking wild rice while preparing vegetables and other ingredients.
- Meanwhile, in a big sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Slightly reduce heat (low-med) and add mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add flour, salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes or until mixture turns golden.
- Add broth and 1/2 & 1/2 (or cream). Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and chervil or tarragon and heat through.
Wonderful recipe--although cooking time ended up being somewhat longer in order to get the vegetables tender. I used Silk Creamer in lieu of the half-and-half to make this vegan. It was AMAZINGLY flavorful, and definitely hit the spot on a chilly day. Thanks for this recipe! It will be a regular in our house!