Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a most wonderful robust-tasting soup, a great warm-up for cold days, definately a meal served with crusty buns. Although this recipe serves 4-6, it may be doubled if desired.
- 1 lb mutton neck (lamb)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 -3 tablespoons pearl barley, washed
- 2 tablespoons dry split yellow peas
- 2 tablespoons dried split green peas
- 2 medium carrots, chopped large
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup diced rutabaga
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the mutton, water, salt and WASHED pearl barley into a large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil very slowly; skim off fat while boiling.
- Dice all veggies, wash and shred the cabbage; add the veggies to the pot.
- Bring the soup back to a boil again, and simmer very gently until the meat is cooked, and the peas are tender (about two hours).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.