Beautiful Brisket Broth Soup
Whenever we make Emeril's Passover Brisket (Recipe #217848), I save the braising liquid instead of serving it over the meat. It makes a really delicious soup base. Just throw together some fresh vegetables and a bit of smoky pepper sauce -- BAM! I think Emeril might dig it, too!
- Ready In:
- braising liquid from beef brisket, chilled or 4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- leftover beef brisket, in bite-sized pieces (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb spinach, stems removed
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded, minced
- Remove and discard congealed fat from the surface of the chilled braising liquid. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a wide deep pan and then sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Sauté mushrooms in the same pan until most of the water has been cooked out and mushrooms have a nice golden color. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice and stir in leftover brisket (nice, but not necessary).
- Pour the braising liquid or stock through a strainer into the pan and bring to a low boil. Add the spinach by handfuls, stirring until wilted.
- Add chipotle (and additional adobo sauce if desired) and reduce heat, simmering until flavors blend. Tasty.