Recipe by Marsha D.
This recipe came from the Martha Stewart Show. Saw these made and knew I had to have this recipe. Made these for my husband for Valentine's Day and our 6th year anniversary. They are wonderful!! Made with fresh strawberries in both cupcake and frosting. NOTE:: For best results.... let butter and eggs come to room temperature before using and use pure vanilla extract.
Top Review by Dying2Live
These were so yummy! I made these for my daughter's 1st birthday party and topped them with a strawberry cream cheese frosting I improvised. Next time I might try substituting half of the butter for cream cheese in this frosting recipe for just a bit of an over the top taste! I used thawed frozen strawberries instead of fresh since they are out of season. I also added more strawberry puree and some chopped strawberries to my batter as I wanted a really strawberry flavored cupcake.
- 177.44 ml fresh strawberries, sliced in half
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml milk
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract (optional)
- 44.37 ml fresh strawberries, pureed
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter
- 828.06 ml powdered sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 0.25 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Using cupcake liners, place 12 liners in a muffin pan and set to the side.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt and set a side.
- In a food processor or blender add strawberries and process until pureed.
- Empty pureed strawberries into a 1/3c measuring cup and set aside. Add rest of strawberry puree to a small bowl and set aside to use in the frosting.
- Using a electric mixer with bowl, cream butter on medium high speed until lightly fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and continue to mix until well blended. Reduce speed to low and slowly add one egg and egg whites and mix until lightly blended.
- Add vanilla extract if using.
- Mix together milk and 1/3c strawberry puree.
- Alternate flour and milk mixture to mixer slowly ending with flour. Scrap down sides of bowl and continue to blend well.
- Using a ice cream scoop or tablespoon, add batter to prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack before adding the frosting.
- To make the Strawberry Frosting:.
- Using a electric mixer with bowl, add 1 cup butter (soften) and salt and blend on medium high until fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add powdered sugar and blend well.
- Add vanilla extract and 3TBS of the strawberry puree, blend well.
- Using a knife frost the cupcakes and top with decorative candies.